Landlord slapped with heavy fine – No fire alarms or escape notices at property

By | Fire

A Birmingham landlord has been handed fines totalling £19,418 after it was found an HMO under his ownership had no fire alarms or display notices indicating escape routes. The owner, Mr Amrik Singh Gill, had also failed to apply for an HMO licence and ensure that there were adequate water and drainage systems. Birmingham City Council’s cabinet member for neighbourhood…

Read More

Fire Sprinkler Legislation

By | Water

Approved documents accompanying the Building Regulations in England and Wales make specific reference to the use of sprinklers (Regulations for Scotland and Northern Ireland differ slightly). For life safety, new residential blocks over 30m high must be fitted with sprinklers to meet Approved Document B standards. Similarly an uncompartmented area in a shop or self storage building over 2000 square…

Read More

Ex-fireman who rented out ‘fire hazard’ flats apologises but says he’s no rogue landlord

By | Fire

An ex-fireman fined for renting out flats that were fire hazards today admitted the buck stopped with him – but claimed: “I’m no rogue landlord.” Adrian Webb and wife Lynn were accused of putting tenants’ lives at risk after renting out flats in a converted house in Rice Lane, Walton, that Liverpool council said had no fire alarms or fire…

Read More

Plumber fined after causing explosion at domestic property

By | Fire

A self-employed plumber has been fined for safety failings that led to an explosion at a domestic property in Cambrian Way, Haslingden. Burnley Magistrates’ Court heard how, in May 2014, Lee Barrett failed to put in place the appropriate safety devices when removing an existing water tank for a loft conversion. He had, effectively, created a closed water system combined…

Read More

New research shows students at risk in rented accommodation

By | Fire

New research, commissioned by safety charity Electrical Safety First, suggests that landlords and letting agents may be putting their student tenants’ lives at risk, by failing to fix serious safety hazards. CFOA is concerned at the findings of the research, which found that many landlords and letting agents ignored safety concerns reported to them, such as exposed wiring, repeatedly tripping…

Read More